Debt Annihilation Team
We want to offer practical solutions to the slavery of consumer debt by building community trust, sharing, and providing capital to eliminate consumer debt in our community.
Rom 13:8 “do not owe anything to anyone besides love.” This is for freedom. Free people can do more than those in bondage. [Gal 5] Our exhortation to the church: don’t use your freedom like stereotypical Americans…enslaved to debt, living in the shame, not experiencing a fuller freedom of sharing and unable to fully participate in the imagination and responsibility of life in the church.
We want to offer practical solutions to the slavery of consumer debt by building community trust, sharing, and providing capital to eliminate consumer debt in our community. The Debt Annihilation Team fosters freedom, simplicity, and community through recovery.
Family, if someone is caught in a sin, you who are spiritual should restore them gently. But watch yourself, or you also may be tempted. Carry each other’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ. If anyone thinks they are something when they are nothing, they deceives themselves. Each one should test their own actions. Then they can take pride in themselves, without comparing one to somebody else, for each one should carry their own load.
The Debt Annihilation Team has three components: team leaders & administrators, coaches, and DAT Groups. We form Debt Annihilation Groups out of applicants for a projected period of time when they will use seed money and an agreed upon strategy to pay off one another’s debt.
Structure of the team
Leadership & Administration help move us along in the process, candidate selection, fundraising, vision development and provide tools for communication and accountability for the team.
Personal Finance Coaches provide basic financial stewardship training, encouragement, accountability including producing an actual budget as well as goal budget for the applicants. They are trained by Everence in quality coaching.
DAT Groups form a team to foment freedom from consumer debt. Generosity, trust, growth, and a commitment to recovery keep this team ripe to provide mutual accountability and encouragement. Each member of the group has a coach.
To be in a “D.A.T. Group”
- We give covenant members preference.
- Complete intake process with full disclosure and offer to be considered to participate by the Debt Annihilation Team.
- Meet with a Personal Finance Coach before entering the group, checking in as suggested by coach.
- Agree and abide by DAT Group Covenant which will indicate the people in the group, the length of time, the order of annihilation, and how much money will be contributed. The length of time will include paying back the seed money.
- Enjoy freedom from consumer debt. People who complete their life cycle of the DAT Group are welcome and encouraged to “pay it forward”, $10-$20 per month to future seed money for more groups to spawn. DAT Group members are encouraged to reconsider what they choose to give to the common fund each month in light of their new freedom.